One of the largest family owned Civil Engineering companies in the UK is looking to recruit a ‘Site/Setting Out Engineer’ within Horley/Crawley regions. As Site/Setting Out Engineer, you will be part of the site based team with a primary focus on site activities.
The engineering department is committed to conveying design information to the site operatives providing setting out to the highest accuracy in a clear and professional manor. You will also be responsible for record any As-Constructed information, providing quality assurance checks and adhered to any constructing design specifications.
You will strive to achieve best value for the company by using your experience and knowledge effectively to fulfil each of the responsibilities set out below;
* Ensure the health and safety of yourself and others around you.
* Checking base stations and site control prior to commencement of works and at regular intervals during currency of project.
* Carry out pre-start OGL surveys as agreed with survey department.
* Request appropriate information from client’s representative via RFI’s.
* Extract setting out data from drawings (electronic or hardcopy), schedules or instructions and set out works to the required accuracy.
* Communicate setting out control to site operatives clearly (i.e. height above finished levels, gradients, etc).
* Record dimensions of hard breakout, soft spots, calculate Volumes etc as directed by the Site Agent or the site QS
* Oversee junior engineers/trainees in their day to day site activities.
* Provide information to operatives to assist them to construct the works (i.e. manhole schedules, drainage track sheets, etc)
* Record as-built information for Health and Safety File (i.e. invert levels, lateral and duct locations, etc) and forward to Survey department for final drawing up.
* Maintain Engineers Site File of setting out information, calculations, etc.
* Keep a tidy and legible level book and survey book.
* Report any safety/quality/environmental incidents or non-conformances to Project Manager/Site Agent/General Foreman.
* Record any instructions to confirm or change setting out information via CVI’s.
* Ensure all setting out equipment securely locked away when not in use.
* Engineers need to be mindful of the contract programme and set out in accordance.
* Engineers are responsible, despite their experience and qualifications, to learn and improve themselves
* Preferably will have at least HNC qualification but working knowledge and experience equally relevant
* Able to read and understand construction drawings.
* Capable of using Total Station Survey and GNSS equipment
* IT literate
* Good communication skills
* Pro-active problem solver
* Relevant engineering software i.e. Auto CAD
Preferred relevant site experience in;
2. Earth works
Hours and Environment
Working hours for this role are generally 7.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday inclusive but subject to site hours and requirement