To lead and direct the full engineering life-cycle of the U-Battery, meeting all business objectives and fulfilling client obligations. This is an opportunity to play a significant role in a project that has national significance as the first nuclear power plant for a generation that has been designed in the UK. The capability of the U-Battery to deliver cost-competitive high grade process heat and electricity in conjunction with other sources of renewable energy is recognized as an essential component of the drive towards economically achieving a carbon neutral future in the UK and other countries.
* The U-Battery is an Advanced Modular Reactor (AMR) capable of providing a low-carbon, cost-effective and inherently safe source of power
* The project is entering the Front-End Engineering and Design phase and requires a Design & Licensing Manager
* The role involves working within a highly regulated environment as the de-facto Head of Engineering with leading the Design Authority
* The project requires an innovative approach to the design and build of a nuclear plant including for example the adoption of, offsite build, and autonomous operations.
You will have accountability for:
1) Ultimate Design Authority for the U-Battery.
2) Direction and supervision of the Engineering function
3) Participation in the Procurement of external service providers
4) Cradle to grave oversight of engineering activities
5) Supplier Relationship Management
6) Regulator interface
7) Stakeholder Management
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
* Degree or master’s in a relevant Engineering / technical discipline, additional other relevant qualifications desired.
* Professionally qualified and chartered status.
* Extensive engineering management and successful delivery on nuclear reactor islands and other safety critical projects.
* A record of negotiating and working with nuclear regulators on novel or first of a kind projects
* 5 years minimum experience in relevant area;
* Sound people and budget leadership and management experience;
* Experience in managing technical and non-technical resources for engineering and improvement projects
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
* Track record of introducing change through innovation in all aspects of the engineering process
* Experience of gas-cooled reactors
* Nuclear physics and or nuclear engineering qualifications.
* Security Clearance to SC level
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for over 50 years, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft’s services.
Fircroft is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner as required under the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679. Fircroft will only process your personal data for the specific purposes of managing your application