Are you passionate about delivering high impact research or analysis? Do you want to make a difference to the way Defence and Security operates and how it protects the UK, and our armed forces, from real world threats, both at home and abroad?
Dstl’s Defence & Security Analysis Division supports the Ministry of Defence and wider Government to ensure intelligent decision-making is at the heart of the UK Defence and Security. We provide a broad range of impartial evidence-based analysis and human science advice supporting high priority decision-making on critical policies and to evaluate exciting new capabilities and technologies.
The breadth and impact of our research ranges from providing unbiased advice to the Armed Forces so they can make informed decisions about the design and procurement of battle-winning equipment and critical enabling capabilities, through to supporting the development and delivery of strategic Defence policy and the wider Government’s counter terrorism strategy.
We work at the forefront of defence and security analysis and research. This is a dynamic and rapidly evolving environment. Quite simply, this is work that you cannot do anywhere else.
We’re seeking individuals with skills studying towards an honours degree or Masters degree in any numerate, scientific, human or social science subject or a degree with a strong relevance to defence and security issues.
We are particularly keen to hear from you if you have a degree in the following subjects:
• Operational Research, Maths, Science and Engineering
• Data Science, Computer Science and Software Engineering
• Human Factors and Human Sciences (for example Ergonomics, Sports Science, Psychology, Human Computer Interaction)
We will need you to have relevant technical knowledge and experience gained from your degree, strong IT and communication skills with a flexible, adaptable and inquisitive approach to work.
We are looking for someone who wants to:
• Make a real difference/impact to the defence and security of the UK
• Solve problems and develop analytical and research solutions
• Work with the best minds whether they are in Government, industry or academia
• Learn new skills, techniques and to continue their own professional development
In this role you will;
• Work as in a multidisciplinary team to provide timely, impartial, evidence-based advice.
• Work with customers and the military to understand their requirements & develop solutions.
• Lead small work packages, being responsible for your own research and analysis.
• Provide technical advice and direction to industrial and academic partners and suppliers.
• Prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Develop your knowledge and understanding of defence and security challenges and issues.
Training and Development
We will support your early career development through a mixture of on-the-job, course-based training and possible placements which include;
• Talks and discussion groups led by some of our technical experts.
• Personal skills development.
• Networking with other students and graduates, both in our division and across Dstl, including access to our new starter support network.
You will work on a dynamic collection of projects, contributing to a diverse team of specialists delivering critical scientific advice and solutions. You will support the development of vital defence capabilities, using creativity and innovation.
We help our customers explore their complex unbounded problems using systems thinking and problem structuring techniques to ensure a good understanding of the decisions that need supporting.
Our Analysts use and develop quantitative and qualitative analytical techniques, such as modelling and simulation, data analysis and statistics through to focus groups, table-top exercises and wargames in order to analyse the impact and effectiveness of different technologies, concepts and policies.
Our Human and Social Scientists lead the delivery of future-focused research and consultancy, advising on human performance & behaviours and understanding how people react and are influenced by a wide range of threats, including new threats such as cyber.
We are leading in state of the art techniques including data science, behavioral analytics, visualisation and the use of virtual/augmented reality to explore how we can improve decision making.
You will undertake technical work from the very start of your career at Dstl, working with industry, academia and internationally to deliver advice to our customers right across the MOD and to other parts of Government. You will be in control of your own research; responsible for designing, developing, and implementing technical methods and approaches that will provide impartial evidence-based solutions to inform decision making. There will be opportunities to travel to military sites, attend various trials and undertake international travel.
You’ll be supporting the delivery of technical work for our customers during the course of your placement at Dstl, working in project teams alongside graduates, more senior staff and technical authorities to deliver high impact advice to customers.
You will build positive relationships across Dstl and with our wider government partners, suppliers and customers, to understand, shape and develop their requirements and identify linkages to ensure the maximum exploitation of work.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
We’ll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.